ADVANCED NOTICE OF CLOSURE
The practice will be closed on the Wednesday the 4th December 2019 for a quality improvement day.
If you require urgent medical assistance that cannot wait until the practice re-opens, please call 111. If you have a life-threatening medical emergency please dial 999.
Self Care Week - 18 to 24 November 2019
Self Care Week is an annual national awareness week that focuses on promoting Self Care.
“think” self care for a healthier, happier life
To find out more visit www.selfcareforum.org or take a look at our latest PPG Fact Sheet.
Flu Vaccination - Ask about yours today
Flu vaccination provides the best protection against an unpredictable virus which infects many people and can cause serious illness and death each year. The vaccination is free and recommended yearly for those most at risk of flu. This includes:
- everyone aged 65 and over
- anyone living with a long term medical condition
- pregnant women
- people with caring responsibilities
- children aged 2 to 10 years old (Pre-school children aged 2 to 3 years will be vaccinated at the practice. Children aged 4 to 10 years will usually be vaccinated at school)
NHS 10 Year Plan - What Would You Do?
The NHS is changing and it needs your help.
Help your local NHS in Oldham to invest in the right support by sharing your ideas.
Complete our survey at https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/9DMLZS8
Your anonymous answers will be used to help influence local and national services.
For more information visit https://www.healthwatcholdham.co.uk/
Improving the availability of GP appointments
From the 1st April 2019 morning surgeries will be available on a "book on the day" basis. Patients are asked to telephone the surgery after 08:00 and a timeslot for later that morning will then be booked. Evening surgeries may be booked in advance.
We are trying this as it has been suggested by patients and we know that it has helped other local Practices in similar situations.
We will be continuing with other innovation such as First Contact Physio and the Minor Aliment Clinic. This year we will also be trying active signposting and increasing promotion of self-care.
Go direct to a physio without seeing the doctor!
First contact Physiotherapist are available at the Practice.
The physio will:
- Access you and diagnose what's happening
- Give expert advice on how best to manage your condition
- Refer you on to a specialist service if necessary
Ask reception for more information.
Help Us Help You, GP Access
NHS England and Public Health England are highlighting that appointments are now available in the evenings and weekends through local NHS services. By utilising the evening and weekend appointments, you can stay well, prevent an illness getting worse, access the correct healthcare when they need it and get well again sooner. For more information visit www.nhs.uk/GPaccess.
Oldham's Evening and Weekend appointments - 7 day service
If you would prefer to see a GP in the evening or weekend, Non-urgent / routine appointments are available at a selection of location in Oldham to book call 0161 934 2827
What are we doing to improve?
The Practice and Patient Participation Group look at a variety of sources of feedback from patients (National GP patient survey, NHS website reviews, Friends & family test results and patient’s comments and complaints). Two common themes are:
- Improving Access by the phone
- Improving Access to GP appointments
We are listening and working hard to find the solutions to improve. This article will cover what the practice is doing to address these issues.
Improving Access by the phone
- Working with Oldham Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) to obtain analysis of current phone system
- Increasing the number of staff answering phones
- Promoting online appointment booking and requesting of repeat prescriptions- 20% of patients are now registered
- Piloting text messaging patients their test result service
- Promoting online access to medical record for patient with Long Term Conditions
Improving Access to GP appointments
- Increasing the number of GP telephone consultations offered
- Developing the roles of Community Matrons and Clinical Pharmacist
- Promoting alternative to a GP appointment to patients
- Reducing unnecessary follow-up of patients (analysing high frequency attendees)
- Exploring the possibility of implementing GP triage & online triage
- Exploring the possibility of group consultation for Long term Condition
Other things we are exploring which we think may help
- Developing the Care Navigator role within Reception / Health Care Assistants
- Introducing social prescribing
- Reducing the number of unnecessary blood tests (analysing repetition & low clinical value)
Flu Vaccination Now Available
Please call 01457 872228 to arrange your appointment.
Changes to Ordering Repeat Prescription Online
Our Old repeat prescription ordering service will not be available after the 9 July 2018. It is being replaced by Patient Access, please register for Patient Access at your earliest convenience.
General Data Protection Regulation
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a new law that determine how your personal data is processed and kept safe, and the legal rights that you have in relation to your own data.
The regulation applies from 25 May 2018.
What GDPR will mean for patients
The GDPR sets out the key principles about processing personal data, for staff or patients:
- Data must be processed lawfully, fairly and transparently
- It must be collected for specific, explicit and legitimate purposes
- It must be limited to what is necessary for the purpose for which it is processed
- Information must be accurate and kept up to date
- Data must be held securely
- It can only be retained for as long as is necessary for the reasons it was collected
There are also stronger rights for patients regarding the information practice hold about them. These include:
- Being informed about how their data is used
- Patients to have access to their own data
- Patients can ask to have incorrect information changed
- Restrict how their data is used
- Move their patient data from one health organisation to another
- The right to object to their patient information being processed (in certain circumstances)
Click here for Saddleworth Medical Practices Privacy Notice