The new General Practice Data for Planning and Research Data Collection (GPDPR) is coming. This data collection will help the NHS to improve health and care services for everyone by collecting patient data that can be used to do this.
The GPDPR is designed to help the NHS to:
- Monitor the long-term safety and effectiveness of care
- Plan how to deliver better health and care services
- Prevent the spread of infectious diseases
- Identify new treatments and medicines through health research
You can decide whether you wish to have your information extracted and there are two main options available to you.
Type 1 Opt Out applies at organisational level and means that your medical record is not extracted from the organisation for any purpose other than for direct patient care. You can opt out at any time, however you should opt out before the beginning of September to ensure your data is not extracted for this purpose. Opting out after this date will mean that no further extractions will be taken from your medical record.
Further information is available here
Type 2 Opt Out allows data to be extracted by NHS Digital for their lawful purposes but they cannot share this information with anyone else for research and planning purposes. You can opt out at any time.
Further information is available here.
How do you opt out?
Type 1 – You need to contact the practice by phone, email or post to let us know that you wish to opt out.
Type 2 – you need to inform NHS Digital. Unfortunately, this cannot be done by the practice for you. You can do this by any of the following methods:
- Online service – You will need to know your NHS number or your postcode as registered at your GP practice via https://www.nhs.uk/your-nhs-data-matters/manage-your-choice/
- Telephone service 0300 303 5678 which is open Monday to Friday between 0900 and 1700
- NHS App – For use by patients aged 13 and over (95% of surgeries are now connected to the NHS App). The app can be downloaded from the App Store or Google play
- “Print and post” registration form: https://assets.nhs.uk/prod/documents/Manage_your_choice_1.1.pdf
o Photocopies of proof of the applicant’s name (e.g., passport, UK driving licence etc.) and address (e.g., utility bill, payslip etc.) need to be sent with the application.
It can take up to 14 days to process the form once it arrives at National Data Opt Out, Contact Centre, NHS Digital, HM Government, 7 and 8 Wellington Place, Leeds, LS1 4AP.